We independently review everything we recommend. The information is provided by How To Disable Computrace In Lenovo BIOS? Process Guide and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we may earn a commission if you buy something through links on our post. Learn more
A computer security system has been in use for a long time, going back to the days of cables and locks. Laptop owners should be aware of how to remove Computrace from their devices, as this is an issue that will be of concern to them. But do you know How To Disable Computrace In Lenovo BIOS? Let’s explain it.
Accompanied by a GPS signal, Computrace can tell you where your PC is. Computrace is a constant feature that enhances the security of your computer device when activated or put on. Except for laptops purchased with the option turned off in the PC’s primary input and output system, not every laptop comes pre-installed with Computrace.
Make sure to keep in mind that after you’ve made a change to Computrace, you can’t go back and change it back. To stop the feature, you’d need to contact Computrace directly if you had an account with them. If not, you’re out of luck, and the feature likely offers a wipe option for those without a Computrace account.
How To Disable Computrace In The Bios Of A Lenovo?
You can’t use the computer’s mouse, so use the arrow keys to select the “Security” tab on the BIOS main menu. There are three alternatives for Computrace available here. More than likely, the “Deactivated” option will already be chosen.
- If you’re using a laptop, shut down the machine by pressing and holding the “Power” button on the laptop’s tower.
- Wait for the computer manufacturer’s emblem to appear on the screen before turning the machine back on. Press the BIOS access key as soon as it appears on the screen to enter the BIOS menu. Pressing the “DEL” or “F2” key on a computer usually launches the BIOS menu (see Resources).
- The “Security” tab can only be accessed by using arrow keys on the computer’s main menu in the BIOS. Computrace has three options listed here. Most likely, the “Deactivated” option has already been selected.
- Disable Computrace by pressing “Enter” on your keyboard after selecting “Disable” in step 4. Once the Computrace module is disabled, it cannot be reactivated. To confirm the “Disable” decision, press the “Enter” key again.
- It’s now time to reboot the computer into its operating system by pressing “F10” to save your BIOS settings.
What Is Computrace In BIOS?
On the motherboard of the computer is a module called Computrace. It functions independently of the computer and emits a GPS signal to communicate its location. You have the permanent choice to increase the security of your computer devices by activating or enabling this feature.
How Does Computrace Work?
When a computer with Computrace installed is reported stolen, the Computrace Agent sends a silent alert over the Internet to the Absolute Monitoring Center, enabling the Absolute Theft Recovery Team to forensically mine the machine using various techniques like critical captures, registry scanning, file scanning, and more.
What Is The Best Way To Find Computrace On My Laptop?
Absolute Software created the tracking tool Computrace to assist significant corporations with asset management and theft recovery. Specific computers made by large firms like Hewlett-Packard, Panasonic, Dell, and others have this program pre-installed in their firmware. A few steps are required to locate Computrace on your laptop. The following are some examples:
- Ctrl+Shift-Esc” is the command. The Windows Task Manager will appear as a result of this action.
- Find a wide range of services by clicking on the “Services” link. Select “Name” to sort the services alphabetically.
- Select “Search Lower List” and look for rcpnet.exe under “Name” and “Computrace” adjacent there under “Description.” Searching for this exact entry reveals that Computrace is already installed and operational on your computer.
Another option is to look into your laptop’s BIOS settings. Computrace’s “Security” functionality should be checked for any issues with the module interface.
Is It Possible To Turn Off The Computrace?
Disabled, Deactivated, and Activated options in the Bios for Computrace. It’s now “Deactivated,” which means it’s available to be “Disabled” or “Activated,” depending on your preference. “Never” can be modified, and grey out the Bios setting.
Is Computrace Safe?
Unless you have hardware expertise to check and follow BIOS modification, computrace appears to be a persistent backdoor, as described by Kaspersky. Anyone with authority or hacking skills can edit the files and take complete control of your computer, including full activity detection and the ability to delete data.
Does Replacing BIOS-Chips In My Laptop Remove Computrace?
Computrace is not removed when you flash your BIOS. Computrace persists even if you delete or replace another file. So long as the BIOS is contained in a PLCC chip or DIP socket, you can still upgrade the BIOS.
When a new motherboard model hits the market, many motherboard manufacturers provide a limited-time BIOS upgrade service. There are four steps you need to follow to replace your BIOS chip. The hard disc firmware can be transferred by following these steps:
- Disconnect the circuit boards and gain access to the hard drive
- Assemble the original and replacement motherboards by removing the BIOS chips with a hot-air gun
- Assemble a replacement HDD PCB by splicing in the original PCB’s BIOS chip.
The system clock in your BIOS will reset if it is malfunctioning. To keep track of the time and date, Computrace was installed; your laptop uses the BIOS chip. Additionally, if your POST troubles are mysterious, you may not access POST.
How Do I Uninstall Computrace?
System Restore is a tool included with Windows operating systems that enables users to remove programs interfering with the computer’s functioning and restore the system to a previous state.
System Restore can be used to repair your system and remove harmful programs like Computrace if a system restores point was established before installing a program. Before doing a System Restore, you should create a backup of your files and data.
- Close all open files and programs.
- Right-click Computer on display and choose Properties. The system window appears.
- Click System protection in the System window’s left column. It will show the System Properties window.
- The System Restore box will appear after clicking System Restore.
- Decide Click Next after selecting a different restoration point.
- From the list, choose a day and time, then click Next. It’s important to note that any programs and drivers installed after the selected date and time could not function correctly and necessitate re-installation.
- b. When the “Confirm your restoration point” window displays, click Finish.
- Click Yes once more to confirm.
Does Lenovo Have Computrace?
The Computrace agent, which works in concert with the application after it is loaded, is present in the BIOS of most recent laptops from Dell, Lenovo, Gateway, HP, and Fujitsu.
Finding out How To Disable Computrace In Lenovo BIOS? May seem like a daunting task, but despite this, you should make the most of the time you have. You are guaranteed to find a solution if you follow the procedures outlined above and attempt every other alternative. Users of Dell and other computer models can benefit from the information provided above.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Lenovo BIOS Computrace?
Tracking and recovering a stolen laptop computer is feasible using specific versions of Computrace for Lenovo, integrated into the BIOS of ThinkPad notebooks. One of the significant features of Absolute Software’s new Lost & Found service is that anyone who finds a ThinkPad can return it to its owner quickly and easily.
What is the meaning of Computrace in the boot menu?
Computrace is a motherboard-mounted computer module. It sends out a GPS signal on its own, without a computer. A permanent method to increase your computer’s security is to activate or enable this function.
Is computrace a safe program to work with?
Our investigation reveals a security weakness in the design of the Computrace agent protocol, which could potentially harm all agents on any platform. There is, however, no evidence of a flaw in the Windows agent. For Mac OS X and Android tablets, we’ve heard of Computrace products.
What does Computrace Absolute Software do?
LoJack for Laptops is a software-based theft recovery service provided by Absolute Software. Stolen computers may be tracked and recovered using Computrace technology, which gives individuals control over their data.