We independently review everything we recommend. The information is provided by Seagate One Touch Vs WD My Passport (Full Comparison) and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we may earn a commission if you buy something through links on our post. Learn more
Let’s start with today’s topic, Seagate One Touch Vs WD My Passport. Aside from price, there isn’t much excitement around portable hard drives anymore. You’ll buy whichever is the cheapest. Even if you don’t think you do, you still need a backup hard drive.
There isn’t much someone can do to invent new design concepts with a plastic rectangle. Buyers’ decisions could be swayed by value-added features like preinstalled backup and security software. Seagate’s new One Touch with Password product line has tested both approaches.
- Seagate One Touch Vs WD My Passport
- Comparison Between WD My Passport Vs Seagate One Touch
- WD My Passport Features
- Seagate One Touch 5TB Vs WD My Passport 5TB
- Seagate One Touch Vs Expansion
- Which One Is Better: Seagate Or WD?
- Is Seagate One Touch good?
- Which Is Faster: WD My Passport Or Seagate Backup Plus?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Seagate One Touch Vs WD My Passport
WD vs Seagate hard drives provide a comparable range of capacities, but the price is different. Comparable capacity WD external hard drives cost slightly less than Seagate® external hard drives. Speed and security should be your top priorities when evaluating external hard drives.
Seagate’s Expansion range of portable storage devices covers the essentials: plugging them in and dragging and dropping files is all that’s required. Models in this price range have a slimmer body and a more elegant outer fabric, and additional software features that enhance their utility.
High-capacity options and more practical features make up the One Touch series. Do these considerations play a role in deciding which portable hard disc to purchase? What’s going to happen next? We’re about to learn: Seagate One Touch Vs WD My Passport.
Comparison Between WD My Passport Vs Seagate One Touch
The Style And Functionality Of Seagate One Touch With Password
- The new Seagate One Touch with Password hard drives aren’t just boring commodity objects with six color options. With a brushed metal panel in your pick of color wrapping the top and front, the body is plastic.
- As far as appearances go, black on black is the most solemn, while red on white is maybe the most eye-catching. I like the color of the review unit I received in light blue. The brushed metal surface gives it a denim-like vibe, beautifully offset by the white frame. It’s more of a metallic grey-blue than the pastel shade I was expecting based on photographs on Seagate’s website and product listings.
- Plastic manufacture wasn’t excellent, though; I felt some rough edges and noticed that the metal meets the plastic with a slight gap. For a product that’s frequently picked up and held in the palm of your hand, this is a minor detail. I’d also want to see more softened corners in the design.
- Choices include 1TB, 2GB, 4GB, and 5GB storage capacity. The first two are 11.7mm thick and weigh 148g, whilst the second two are 20.9mm thick and weigh 268g, with more physical platters. On the rear of the device, there’s a USB 3.0 Micro-B connector, and a little white activity LED. Most manufacturers still use this less convenient portable hard drive standard, even though USB Type-C should be universal.
- There is only one USB 3.0 cable included in the box, and no additional Type-C cables or adapters are included either. Additionally, there are instructions for installing the Seagate software included with the drive, as well as a separate sheet with printed codes that allow you to set up your password and override it if you lose it. One year of access to the picture management application Mylio Create and four months of access to Adobe’s Creative Cloud Photography Plan is included in the Mylio Create subscription price.
- As a result of its AES-256 hardware encryption, the One Touch with Password drive is known as such. To get started, you’ll run the Seagate Toolkit tool, which can be found in the preinstalled launcher app on the hard drive. First, you must enter the 8-character Secure ID found on the enclosed booklet before you can proceed with creating a password. According to Seagate’s documentation, this code is supposed to be printed on a sticker on the drive, but I didn’t notice one on my review unit; therefore, the booklet must be saved somewhere safe. Afterward, you can create a reset key linked to your Seagate/LaCie account. In that case, you’ll need the reset code printed on the leaflet.
- To use the Toolkit, you must enter the password you set up when you plug this drive into your computer. To access the drive’s contents, a small partition will be displayed on a different computer, and you’ll need to execute the unlock application that’s stored on it.
- Automated backups and mirroring folders of your choice are also possible with Seagate Toolkit. Backup and Mirror are two similar ideas but have different meanings, so some individuals may not know which to choose when it comes to protecting their files. A more detailed description of when each choice should be used would have been beneficial. Either way, the process is straightforward.
WD My Passport Features
To get the most out of your trip, dress to impress. The new My Passport features a thin and lightweight design and comes in various eye-catching hues.
Make sure you don’t lose any of the things you generate during your life journeys, such as images, films, music, and papers. Backup software1 is preinstalled on the My Passport drive and can be programmed to run on a schedule that you specify. You’re My Passport drive can be set to automatically back up your most important files at the time and frequency of your choosing.
Secure your digital life’s contents with the built-in 256-bit AES hardware encryption and password security. Use our downloaded software to activate secure passwords and set your unique password.
Everything I need to use my Passport portable storage is included right in the box. And thanks to SuperSpeed USB, you’ll be able to back up your entire life in no time at all.
Works On Mac And Windows
It’s pre-formatted for Windows 10+ so that it may be plugged in and used right out of the box. The NTFS driver for macOS is also available through WD software, so you can switch between operating systems without reinstalling.
Seagate One Touch 5TB Vs WD My Passport 5TB
One of the best Seagate hard drives is this one. It is ranked first during WD. The slant community has ranked my passport as number four. One of the things that sets a top competitor like the WD My Passport apart from a generic external hard drive is the manufacturer’s extra effort to make a plain plastic box look appealing.
The My Passport drive has the appearance and user-friendly tactile feel of a consumer device thanks to its slightly rounded edges and ripples covering a portion of the surface.
Thanks to the ripples, the drive is kept from readily slipping out of your grasp. The WD My Passport is a clear standout and our new Editors’ Choice among high-capacity portable hard drives.
Add a variety of colors, a size that fits in a shirt pocket, a range of capacities from 1TB to 5TB (5TB is the highest capacity you can currently get for a single-drive portable hard drive), and easy-to-find discounts from the list price.
Seagate One Touch Vs Expansion
The Expansion drives only have two years of warranty compared to the Seagate one-touch warranty. Depending on the store you buy it from, this may be different. Cost: Generally speaking, One-touch costs more than an Expansion drive of the same capacity.
Which One Is Better: Seagate Or WD?
Though not by much, Seagate is now in the lead in the competition for faster and larger internal storage. Western Digital continues to compete in the entry-level to mid-range market.
Is Seagate One Touch good?
If you’re looking for one of the most OK external hard drives or SSDs, the Seagate One Touch SSD will probably catch your eye. It’s easy to understand why: it’s tiny, it delivers quick transfer speeds, and on top of that, it’s reasonably priced.
Which Is Faster: WD My Passport Or Seagate Backup Plus?
Seagate Backup Plus is faster as compared to WD My Passwort.
Now concluding the topic Seagate One Touch Vs WD My Passport: Additionally, Seagate provides customers with a free data recovery attempt using the Seagate Rescue service at their lab.
Since losing up to 5TB of important files due to physical disk fragmentation can strike horror into any computer user’s heart, this might give customers some peace of mind. Seagate claims a 95% success rate; however, there is no guarantee that your disc will be able to recover your data.
Frequently Asked Questions
Seagate One Touch vs WD My Passport: Which Is Better?
It’s hard to beat Western Digital for portability. However, there are advantages to using an external drive that requires a power supply, such as quicker speeds and more storage capacity.
Is WD better than Seagate in terms of reliability?
Western Digital’s hard drives were the least trustworthy, according to the study… Toshiba, Seagate, and Western Digital all reported annual failure rates in the range of 3.5 to 4.5 percent, with Toshiba taking the top spot.
Do you know how quick the Seagate One Touch drive is?
It can transfer huge files at speeds of up to 1030MB/s, has an Android app for backing up images and videos to save device space, and has a storage capacity of up to 2TB with plug-and-play USB-C Windows and Mac compatibility.
Is Seagate an excellent hard drive?
Seagate makes some of the least reliable external hard drives, but they’re also among the most affordable. It has a data transfer rate of 100 MB per second and weighs just 159 grams, making it a great alternative for travel.